Quality & Safety
Committed to Excellence
At Algalife, we strive to make products that exceed industry standards and our customer’s expectations. And we work continuously to improve the effectiveness of our Quality Management System.
One of Lowest Heavy Metal Profiles in the Industry
Heavy metals are individual metals and metal compounds that can impact human health. They can find their way into astaxanthin products when the algae is cultivated in open pond systems or when the water utilised is not pure.
Thanks to Iceland’s outstanding water quality and our effective water management system, our astaxanthin products have one of the lowest heavy metals profiles in the industry. See the detailed comparison below:
|Maximum Levels Allowed
(U. S. Pharmacopeia Monograph)
|Actual Values for Astalife Icelandic Astaxanthin
|NMT 2.0 ppm
|< 0.1 ppm
|NMT 1.0 ppm
|< 0.005 ppm
|NMT 1.0 ppm
|< 0.025 ppm
|NMT 1.0 ppm*
|< 0.025 ppm
*Our product complies with the stricter European regulations (EC 1881/2006 and amendment EC 629/2008) regarding mercury (Hg) contamination of food supplements (NMT 0.1 ppm).
Full Contamination Control
Successful cultivation is dependent on the effectiveness of protecting the culture from contaminating microorganisms. Biological contamination decreases cell growth rate and astaxanthin content in the biomass, causing a huge drop in product quality. Not to mention the harmful impact of some bacteria and fungi on human health.
Algalife has effective contamination control including:
- Designated Clean Room scale up facility.
- Pharma grade Icelandic glacial water and pure air quality throughout the plant.
- Quality control checkpoints where water, air and the algae cultures are carefully screened to confirm the absence of contaminating microorganisms.
- CGMP compliant facility
Clean & Pure
The production of Haematococcus pluvialis biomass and natural astaxanthin is affected by many physical, chemical and biological factors, constantly in flux. To complicate things further, conditions for algal growth are not conducive for astaxanthin accumulation, and vice-versa.
Our entire production process was designed to maximize quality. To achieve this, we have implemented several strategies such as:
- Constantly having clean, fresh inoculum on standby if needed.
- Optimized production processes for cleaning and sterilization.
- Full control over all main cultivation parameters to ensure optimum Haematococcus pluvialis growth rates.